Máté BALOGH – Hungarian composer.
DLA-student and lecturer of the Franz Liszt Academy of Music, Budapest.
Artistic director of the Hermina Gallery, Budapest.
He was born in 1990, in Győr, Hungary.
Graduated of the Conservatory of Pécs, where he specialized in the theory of music and composition with István Győrffy, he finished his studies in composition at the Liszt Academy of Music in Budapest under Zoltán Jeney. Currently he is working on his doctoral degree and besides he is a professor-assistant in composition subjects at the Liszt Academy.
In 2013, he spent a semester in Trieste, Italy, studied composition with Fabio Nieder.
He is co-founder of the so-called CentriFUGA contemporary-workshop which takes place in Budapest.
His pieces has been presented in many international festivals, such as: Manifeste Festival (IRCAM-Paris), ECSA (Bruxelles), Opus Amadeus (Istanbul), Kurtág&Ungarn (Bern), Ostrava Days, Axes Kraków, St. Gellert Festival, Bartók Szeminárium, Korunk Zenéje, Budapesti Tavaszi Fesztivál, Minifesztivál, stb.
He has participated in masterclasses with Péter Eötvös, Christian Wolff, Louis Andriessen, Petr Kotík, Gyula Csapó and Larry Polansky. His pieces have been performed all over the world, including: Hungary, Poland, Slovakia, the Czech Republic, Romania, France, Belgium, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Sweden, Turkey and the United States.
- 2007: Student of the Year (Hajnóczy József Kollégium, Pécs)
- 2010: 1st Prize of the Composition Contest of the University of Theatre and Film, Budapest
- 2011: 1st Prize of the Composer Competition of the Hungarian National Choir
- 2013, July: Won the possibility to be part as composer of the ’Out at S.E.A.’ chamber-opera project managed by the Péter Eötvös Foundation.
- 2013, September: 3rd Prize of the UMZF Composer Competition with his ensemble-piece Notturni a L.
- 2015, February: He was one of the four chosen young European composers whose pieces were performed in Bruxelles, BOZAR, by the Sturm und Klang Ensemble within the framework of the Conference of the European Composer’s and Songwriter’s Alliance.
- 2015, April: Hononary (special) award of the so-called GENERACE composer competiton, with his piece The Labyrinth of the World and the Paradise of the Heart.
- 2015, May: He was one of the two composers who where selected to work with Fabio Nieder and the Ensemble Mosaik within the framework of a workshop organized by the Fondazione Spinola Banna. His piece BABE(urope)L was performed there, broadcasted by the RAI.
- 2015, October: Absolute 1st prize of the UMZF Competition with his ensemble-piece Melodiemusik, and also 2nd prize for his orchestral piece called Quintet.
- 2016: Artisjus-prize (The Best Junior Classical-composer of the Year)